Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It ain't my problem...Well it certainly isn't mine. Part 3

Pins and needles.  That was our anxiety level this past week.  When last I updated this blog we were awaiting  DWP to arrive and "exhume" the pipe.  There are a number of discomforts one experiences during a journey like this.  Mine has been discussing our waste management issue (aka: poop), saying pipe and pole without a smirk on my face (yes I'm like a teenage boy sometimes) and lastly using the term "exhume".


This word, "exhume", makes me thoroughly uncomfortable.  When I hear it, I immediately envision one of those museum mummies.  Shriveled, grotesque and seemingly pissed off.  They always have a sneer...their upper lip curled in a way that communicates true distaste, dissatisfaction, or even outright angst for those around it.  So like the word "compromised" I only use "exhume" because it is the word DWP has deemed necessary when describing the next step of this long and involved process.

Like I said before, our new pole location has been determined so it was to my utter surprise when Jeff texts to say DWP is installing the new pole.as in "right at this moment...not next week, not next month, now".  It had been a month.  I knew it was coming but this was Goliath...and I didn't feel prepared for the upcoming fight.  There is still a question of who is responsible.  Hence the need to "exhume".  So I hurry over to the house after work just in time to see the crew, all five of them, hauling this massive pole up into the air and down into the hole.  I record the entire event.  As I am recording a DWP worker comes over to where I am standing.  "For legal proof?" he asked.  "No (yes), I've been curious how in the world you guys are going to install this pole." I lied.  "So were we." he laughed...another one joins our team.  It has proven throughout this process the more humor an individual has, the more likely they will be on Team Radue...not team AC-DWP-SUV.

So I watch and wait and watch some more.  The pole is now installed.  I decide this would be an opportune time to ask more about the pipe and when that part of the issue will be addressed.  I walk right up to the one who "caught" me taping for evidence.  He was surrounded by the rest of the crew.
"Excuse me, when do you think you'll be back to finish the job?"
"We'll be moving over the electric and removing the old pole in the next few days...we have a big job tomorrow so it might not be until the end of the week."
"When you remove the pole, is that when you'll replace the pipe?"  My heart is racing, he hadn't mentioned the pipe or any repair.
"What pipe?"  Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Your pole is sitting on top of my pipe.  My sewer-line."
"Wait...that's you?  I mean this is the job with the sewer-line issue.  We've heard about you."

There is a chorus, and I mean chorus of grown men gaffawing over the news that they "get" to work on the infamous "pipe and pole" job.  This means either the job has been circling the DWP rumor mill or the crazed redhead as been discussed around the DWP water cooler.  Either way...I'm a bit famous.  We joke and laugh and they explain that they will be the team to return.  They will be digging the hole to check the pipe and determine what to do next.

So we wait and watch some more...days go by before the crew returns.  This time I more prepared.  I introduce myself to one of the workers and ask what they may have found.  They have exposed the pipe and it is indeed "fractured" in both directions.  This means it should be fixed right?  That DWP is responsible?  I can't get a straight answer out of this guy.  Every answer I get is safe and covers his ass like an adult Depends but I can't blame him nor did I expect anything other than vague formalities.  I decide it's time to turn up the charm.  I make one beeline for CVS and buy their entire stock of Gatorade.  Head back to the house and offer the entire team some refreshing beverages.  I figure it worked for the 50's housewife...why not for the crazed redhead.  These guys work hard, very hard.  When I think of Los Angeles City Workers I always pictured rather lazy employees.  After watching these guys put in a solid 8 hours of distressing work in the hot sun on a hot day I have a new found respect for LA City Workers. 

After delivering the drinks I retreat behind the house...I feel excited that we've come this far but anxious to see the pipe fixed, the pole removed and electricity restored.  As I am walking back around the house I noticed a tall gentleman on the lawn.  The city worker whom I spoke to before tells him, "There she is, that's who you need to speak to."  I cautiously approach the man.  He introduces himself and explains that unfortunately they won't be able to complete the job today.  Uh-oh.

"I'm sorry ma'am.  We'll have to finish the pipe tomorrow." he states.
"Tomorrow?"  This means I have to wait another day before we find out who is going to fix this thing?
"We'll have our engineers here first thing in the morning to replace the fractured pipe but then it'll be a few more days before the old pole can be removed."
"You're going to fix the pipe."
"Yes ma'am."  He says this as though this is the only answer.

I barely keep it together as I thank him and ask the standard "cover my ass" questions about pictures and our claim.  This gentleman explains that I can take them now or tomorrow.  Photos taken that afternoon won't adequately show the damage so he suggests waiting until tomorrow and also promised to have the foreman take pictures in the event that I am not here. As we shake hands I look around at the huge crew who's hard at work...I catch a glimpse of one of them as he drinks from the Gatorade.  He tips his hard hat in my direction, a sign of gratitude...I nod and smile hoping to convey my immense thanks for the work they have done.



The following day I hull it to back in time to get pictures.  When I arrive...they're done.  I panic.  Without substantial proof I may not have a legal leg to stand on.  I politely ask where I might find the foreman.  He is sitting in the AC DWP SUV, he can because he's the foreman.  I introduce myself and ask if there are pictures.  He joked that it's "gonna cost me"...I tell him I have a Gatorade with his name on it.  Then this foreman says, "That smile is payment enough."  WOW.  I mean WOW.  I didn't think this fiasco was going to be such a self esteem builder.  Every one of these guys has been a gentleman...it doesn't hurt getting hit on every now and then.  Also, this is LA which means most of these guys are probably aspiring musicians, actors or models.  GORGEOUS.  So if my smile makes this hot afternoon more enjoyable...bring it.  Back to the pictures.  My heart sinks.  Each one merely shows a completed job, the pristine pipe that will carry our waste.  There are no pictures of an exhumed, pissed off pipe...no fractures, shattered bit or pieces. 
"But what about my claim...I need proof."
"Ma'am (I'm getting that more and more these days)...Ma'am, don't take my word for it but if we're out here fixing your pipe and moving our pole...we're as good as guilty.  You have nothing to worry about."

So in the end we got a new pipe and a new pole.  What I have learned most about my city and my new home is that honestly, respect, persistence and a good solid Midwest handshake can get you a lot.  I've also learned that it's the little things.  It's a smile and patience, a polite phone call or a sincere thanks.  It's allowing yourself to be vulnerable without being weak.  And lastly, we're all in this together so if it's hot out there stand in the shade or offer a cool drink.  You'll be surprised what can happen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything turned out well in the end. Bravo for your patience, tenacity, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read that everything worked out.

    ReplyDelete